Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Side tabs problem in InDesign CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

katlam429

Technical User
Apr 20, 2005
US
I've built my project in a book and I keep having the same problem happening with the side tabs.

Let's say I'm working on Chapter1.indd, but I also have Chapter2.indd open behind it. I want to change the character style of some text in Chapter1, so I go to click on the docked side tab for character style, which is in its unexpanded position. When it expands, Chapter2 becomes the front document and Chapter1 goes behind it. I then have to go back to the Book palette to bring Chapter1 to the front, and rehighlight my text to change it. It's almost like a built in toggle function on the the side tabs.

I'm making sure that I am only clicking on the Character Styles palette, so I know I'm not accidentally clicking on Chapter2 to bring it forward. Whenever I try to minimize the side tabs (I don't know what the correct term is, but making it go back to its unexpanded size by clicking on the active tab) it also toggles between the open documents. Is this just a bug or do I have a setting wrong?

I should also mention, this only happens when I'm working within a book. If I have 2 documents open that aren't in a book together, I don't have this toggle problem.

this is a seriously aggravating bug... so i too would be thrilled with a solution.

when working with a 300+ page book file, it can be really time-wasting to have to go back and forth like this - especially if you're concentrating on the text, and not which page number you're on.

I can't replicate your problem. When I expand that tab the active chapter stays up front and when I close that tab the sactive cahpter still stays upfront.

You could try dragging that tab off the sidebar to the desktop - making it an independent window controlled by the Window menu or shortcut. See what happens with that window and the chapters when you go to it. You can always drag in back to the sidebar - under paragraph styles to return it to the slide in/out sidebar.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back