Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

side case fans, intake or exhaust?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoLdFiNgeR

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2002
US
Ok here is a question for all, i have read all the threads about cpu temp and whether or not to have rear fans exhaust or what not, but my question is this, what if i have a fan on the side paner directly opposite my cpu, should it blow in or out, and the same for a fan directly accross form my video, in or out, thanks,

[evil]

Thats an easy one!
WHICH EVER WAY WORKS BEST!!!!
It depends on so many other factors, like what your other fans are doing? so it's an impossible question.
But as it only takes a few minutes to to turn a fan around do your own tests!
Try it one way, then the other. Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Hi all;

I use Antec cases exclusively and they preinstall a side case fan blowing in. I'll take them at their word, after all they did the research and testing already.

BTW they also have the rear fans blowing out and the front ones blowing in.

My $0.02

Ed

Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

sorry i asked, maybe somebody ran "tests" or something like that

goldfinger,

By all means do NOT be sorry you asked. I think it was a legitimate question. I was just voicing my opinion, and still thinking about a previous thread that had some real far out ideas tossed around.

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

my comments were not directed toward you ed, thank you for you info

Goldfinger
I think your comments were directed towards me?
And I appologise if I gave the impression of being unhelpful, thats the last thing I wanted to do.
But you have to see given the limited information you supplied any definitive comment would be pure guesswork.
To answer this question properly you would have to supply air flow diagrams of the case with details of fans fitted and there CFM ratings, etc etc etc.
Side fans are NORMALLY fitted blowing IN but as I said that would depend on what other fans are doing.
Sometimes our best guesses are completely wrong, and experimentation proves our theories flawed.
Example of this was my absolute belief that the best fitment of my rear top fan was to blow cold air directly onto my CPU, after running it this way for several months something posessed me to turn it around to exhaust, and blow me straight away my CPU temp dropped by 5 degrees C straight across the board, so you see what I mean?
Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

yeah i do, sorry for my comments i was pissed at people at work, i do understand what you mean and i just went off the wall and it was totally uncalled for, belevie me or not, thanks
will

In...always in! Side fans are always for direct cooling of the cpu, or more often, the video card!

Regardless of what the other fans are doing, cases are poorly sealed units and the fans don't supply enough force to create a "high pressure" within the case. Exhausting the air is a good idea but the holes within a case are enough to provide for this.

Hope this helpful!

General rule for air flow in a case. Air goes in the front and out the back (All power supplies that I have seen blow air out the back). For any fan with a heat sink the air blows towards the heat sink. If you have a fan on the side of your case it should blow inwards. Otherwise you get a vacuum above the cpu that will cause it to overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back