Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Side by side "taste test" comparison IPO vs CM 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjoeuser

Technical User
Jan 3, 2011
US
Hi all,

Ive been searching around this site looking for a resent comparison between CM and IPO. I found a couple older comparisons (2007 was the latest) and one post that had a link to another that got me a 404 error. Does anyone know where I can get a comparison list of features, etc?? This is for a single site, 200 users.

Thanks,

Joe

For 200 users i would go for the IPO.
Why? price.
CM is much more expensive for that amount of users.
But you could try this: http.partner.avaya.com

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Ironically price is not as much a concern as features. They want to know which system has better features. Next is ease of programming.

Thanks...Joe

Easy of programming -> IPO
Features -> what do you need?

BAZINGA!

TL.. Thanks and Assuming we use the same phone for both, which offers more button features? Does one do conferencing better then the other? Does one integrate with Voicemail fromthe set better then the other. Does one do unified messaging better then the other? Im certain there are many more comparisons to be gotten, I just cant think of any right now. Perhaps others can jump in here and help with some.

Thanks,
Joe

Where CM beats IPO is on scalability and resiliency...

If things like dual NIC capability, dual PSUs, hot-swap media (line) cards are things that are important to you then CM is the beast. There is not much to differentiate in terms of features (IPO wins with what it will do out of the box, even simple click-to-dial tpye functionality requires an extra server in the CM world)

but for 200 users, IPO will spank CM in terms of cost.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

could hold off for 8.1 and the IP1000

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

If things like dual NIC capability, dual PSUs, hot-swap media (line) cards are things that are important to you then CM is the beast.
Indeed, hold your horses!!!

I saw this on a doc on the avaya partner portal so i can share without violation the NDA :)

Code:
Avaya Proprietary and Confidential Revision 2, May 22, 2012 Page 15 of 59
6.7 IP Office Resiliency
IP Office resiliency can be divided into three distinct categories. The primary server and secondary server can each support up-to 1000 users in resilient mode
Note: The Primary and Secondary servers can c-located or can be on separate locations to support Geo-Redundancy.
1. Hardware Resiliency
a. RAID support
b. Dual PSU on Avaya sourced HP DL360 G7
2. Users and Application Resiliency
a. VMPro server – Primary + Backup in 1+1 redundant active/passive configuration. Manual or auto failback control (auto is new for R8.1)
b. IP Phones – 1:1 resilience to backup IP Office. Manual failback control (Phone reset). Avaya H.323 phones only. Note Expansion systems (gateways) cannot act as backup nodes for the Linux Servers.
c. Hunt groups - 1:1 resilience to backup Server. Auto failback control (device rediscovery – idle group).
d. Inter IP Office device links – Multi-Site Network (SCN) backup. Double star. 1:1 resilience. Auto failback control (device rediscovery)
e. Inter IP Office device links – PSTN backup. M:N resilience via Alternate Route Selection (ARS). Auto failback control (link availability)
IP Office Release 8.1 Regional Applicability: All
Avaya Proprietary and Confidential Revision 2, May 22, 2012 Page 16 of 59
f. Trunks – M:N resilience via ARS. Auto failback control (trunk availability)
g. Incoming Call Routes – Incoming Call Routes are common to all devices hence persist on user failover.
3. Trunk Resiliency
a. PSTN Back-up

This is from the 8.1 product upate doc!!!

BAZINGA!

Although it won't beat the resilliancy like the CM does but that resilliancy will make the price difference very high!

BAZINGA!

I agree with matt, CM is better in terms of scalability and resiliency, but to be honest I think IPO is better about digit manipulation (short codes, incoming calls) and VM Pro. The CM messaging option (vmail) is nothing compared the VMPro, if you need the same level of features you have to add server and server again...

Click to dial does also require another server for the IP Office too though :)

Thanks; The Information coming in is a great help! Thanks for this...Joe

Make sure you look at CM Midsize Enterprise Server (MES), this includes many of the features mentioned here on a single server. It will still be more expensive than IPO, but you get a lot of 'free' entitlements with it (inverted commas as some require purchase of additional hadware to use).

IPO is definitely easier to program than CM, but CM admin is realtime and much better suited if you have multiple admins.

The server reliability part seems to be covered by the new IPO on Linux platform, but don't overlook the software reliability part - CM has things like single process restarts and varying reset levels to recover from problems, whereas the IPO only has a single restart level which will drop all calls and unregister all IP phones (dunno if this will be addressed on the Linux platform).

I would split features into different catagories before comparing - e.g. IPO wins on 'user-facing' stuff (at least out of the box) with better conferencing and more flexible call routing, but CM has much more powerful maintenace features and other backend stuff (e.g. IPv6 support and media encrytion).

I think that the resilliancy is still the same but IPv6 support could be possible (it is there but not tested it)

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back