Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SID

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMSCRATTCH

Technical User
May 3, 2010
US
After a crash of win xp pro I did a repair install now I can't access any files or
programs and all icons have been changed to windows generic.There are four SID's in the registry including my old SID where everything worked. How can I re-activate my old SID?

There is a utility available that can replace the SID on your machine. I would most likely try running that. I think it was called NewSID, and it was from the Sysinternals folks Microsoft bought.

Don't see how changing the SID will help you here. Are you logging on using an administrator account? are the files encrypted? Try creating a new admin account as it could be possible the existing profiles are corrupted. If you still can't access your files, you can boot with a Linux recovery CD then you can backup your files, re-image your machine then restore

if I'd realized the post was over 20 days old I wouldn't have replied. However, SIDs are really what permissions are tied to. the NewSID program I was hoping would set all those registry and file SIDs to the same thing.

He probably just reinstalled everything, which is really a better solution anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back