Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SI7.5, NT4.0, Win2k Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

theDeej

Technical User
Aug 21, 2001
US
This might be more appropriate for an NT or Win2k forum, but I wanted to check first to see if perhaps it was a quirky SI issue...

We're running SI 7.5 on NT 4 SP6a on Win2k/active directory domain. CIT recently implemented security policy for passwords to expire at 90 days and strong password requirements. Ever since then, the password used for our stand-alone installation of SI becomes locked out at various times throughout each day causing email distribution to fail and our reports website to be unavailable, although SI is still able to publish to network locations. If I contact CIT, the account is, in fact locked out and having the account manually unlocked or waiting for the default period to expire allows each to begin working again. No other failures are experienced during account lockout. All other reports run on schedule and without error. All of the services and website, emailing, etc. work fine for hours - then all of a sudden - the spontaneous lockout.

CIT has attempted to assist in resolving the issue by trying to find out what is causing the issue. There are no audit trails - the only failures that appear in security event logs is AFTER the account is already locked out (on both the SI machine and on the PDC). Lockout occurs every 3 - 4 hours. One of our security guys even wrote a program to crawl our network searching out any reference to the account - a big fat nothing.

So, maybe SI doesn't like the account being set to expire? Or...??? This issue did not occur until the new security policy was put in place, and to our knowledge, the SI machine is the only one having the issue (it's not the only NT box left). Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Let me know what you think...or if you have any ideas. I'm baffled!

Thanks!

DJ

Perhaps they've done more than just lock out after 90 days, such as dropping connections for inactivity?

If the account is getting locked out, it might be the result of the account attempting to log in too many times...

I'd suggest that they change the policy for that account, and bring up another SI instance from which to test more rigorously.

Perhaps you can schedule a meaningless, low volume report to fire every 1/2 hour and see if that keeps the account alive.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Maybe you have login/password embedded in some of the reports by custom functions or otherwise, so now they try to
access emailserver. Try to pinpoint the moment account gets locked and see what report was running at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back