Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbong

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
GB
Hi, I have just recently bought a shuttle and all was going well until i installed the drivers for the mainboard ? Now when i start the system up the monitor doesnt come on ?
Any ideas will be gratefully appreciated.

If you boot from a floppy or CD does it work, or do you see the power on information? If you don't you may have a bad monitor, a bad connection or the MOBO may have failed.

One of the connectors could be loose or the card could be loose in the MB. Sometimes the Video card does not have a good connection in the slot or the memory may not be fully seated. Often no video is a grounding problem.

If you can not get into the BIOS before it boots into windows it is not a driver problem and not a chipset driver issue. The BIOS screen comes up before it reads the Hard drive.

Try disonnecting the power checking the connectors, resetting the BIOS and then see if you see anything. If all else fails remove the video card and try it like that.

I dont know if you are using a video card or not.

Do you see a bios Screen at all?

You are not suppose to install video drivers from a video driver install disk before installing the chipset drivers on most motherboards.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I have taken the graphics card out and tried my old one with still no joy. The trouble is i cant see anything so to be able to get into the bios is hard. Everything works all the lights and the hard drive work its just the monitor not coming on ? I have reset the bios on the jumper but still nothing ?

Have you tried a different monitor? Are there any system beeps when you start up? Also check that the reset button on the front of the case is not stuck in...

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Yep tried a different monitor still wont switch on? It was a dell monitor and when the cable isnt plugged in the graphics card it displays its unconnected when you plug it in it disappers if that makes any difference ? No system beeps and the reset button isnt stuck ?

Agree that the monitor is likely ok. When you reset the bios jumper did you then put the jumper back to its original position? If the jumper is left in its reset position then that would cause it to not display. How recently did you buy the computer? Can you get it serviced under the warranty?

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

The motherboard could be grounding out to the case. You could try checking the motherboard outside of the case. I know this scares some people, but it is quite harmless.

One thing to look out for is what does the warranty say about removing the motherboard. Does it void the warranty?

Things that can cause no video:

1. Motherboard is grounded or shorted out to the mounting surface. Could be the motherboard has moved a little on the mounting posts.

2. Video card or plugs are bad. Try an older video card.

3. CPU is burned up or may need to be reseated. Try another CPU?

4. Memory is bad or not plugged in well or incompatible. Sometimes a different BIOS or lower speed memory helps temporarily.

5. CPU FAN not plugged in right. Plug in.

6. CPU Cooler not set up right. Fatal Error. CPU heats up in 1/10th of a second and either shuts down automatically or burns up.

7. CPU with locked BUS SPEED or Multiplier is on a motherboard with the wrong settings. Check the settings. I prefer auto settings for a first install if there is a jumper free mode.

9. Power Supply Bad or not plugged in. Temporarily try another power supply. Order replacement/RMA.

8. Bad Motherboard. Time to RMA.

Since the motherboard and the case and the power supply come together as a KIT just RMA them as a kit or as a separate part. What does the warranty say? What does the Retailer say?

There are always some percentage of bad parts.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You need to give more information about your system.What os?Do you have onboard video?What shuttle motherboard do you have?AGP or PCI video,the more the better.

ceh4702
CPU with locked BUS SPEED or Multiplier is on a motherboard with the wrong settings. Check the settings. I prefer auto settings for a first install if there is a jumper free mode
this is the most likely prob if you do not get bios screen @ start up....if the mainboard jumper is set to auto try setting it to 100 mhz(cpu will work but not @ optimal speed) and then find out which bus speed the cpu is and set the jumper accordingly. then set back to auto

the only right answer to "why?" is: "why not?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back