Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutting down secondary DC/DNS server causing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasisnt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
We have a 2003 Server domain and I added a 2008 DC and did all the forest/domain prep etc beforehand. The 2008 DC has all the FSMO roles as well and is running DHCP.

The 2008 DC uses .68 and the 2003 DC uses .34. The DNS server addresses setup in DHCP to hand out are .68 first and .34 second. They are the only 2 DCs running.

If I shut down the 2003 DC then many but not all people cant access the file server by name until I turn it back on. It says something like there are no login servers available.

For the people who can access the file server I check their IP settings and .68 is their primary DNS server.

Any ideas?

MCSE NT 4.0, MCSA (Server 2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

Did you make the 2k8 server a GC server?

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I haven't played with it enough to tell for sure but I know that one user was fine when I shut it down before and then yesterday when I shut it down again he wasn't.

I'm going to shut it down at 5 today and let it sit over the weekend and see if the clients adjust by Monday.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCSA (Server 2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back