Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutting down IPE shelf for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telecorn

Programmer
Apr 25, 2014
CA
I have a couple of IPE shelves in my CS1K that I no longer need wasting electricity (especially in the case of a power outage) so I have deleted all TNs, disabled the associated XPECs, removed the superloops from programming, and shut down the breakers in the base for 2 of the 3 shelves. Now the red light is on at the top of the pedestal and interloop tests keep running, so I've clearly missed something. Any idea what is left to do to decommission these for good?

Its a while since i did 81 but the system monitor will be aware of the 2 shelves that as far as it is concerned have power faults as the ribbon cable runs up the back through each shelf to the terminator in the top cover.

You will need to shut down the stack, or at least pull the maintenance module from the bottom of the stack. It's not seeing things it thinks it should be seeing and probably has the DTR's shut down on that last powered shelf.

It's still there thinking it's doing it's job even though it is no longer needed.

You will need to physically remove the shelves since the system monitor connects from the bottom to the top cap for the thermal sensor. Otherwise the alarm will persist and the thermal sensor in the top cab is not recognized.

OK, the maintenance module sounds like the way to go, I'll look into that further. There are 3 shelves in this stack and the top one needs to stay so physically removing the bottom 2 would be a nightmare. I'll let you know how it goes.

So yes, you can remove the system monitor, however disable it first. Then you will have to re option the master system monitor so it doesn't look for that slave, but you will still have the column alarm unless you do it right

^OK, that makes sense, though I've never done any programming like that so I'll have to research it carefully.

I asked a buddy about this and he told me to pull the power cards out of each shelf. Light is off and SRPT183 XSM: Alarm signal cleared.

The system monitor still sees the power card thru the backplane even though the shelf breaker is off. Ring Generator card will do the same.

Go into LD 37 and type STAT XSM then hit return and see if you get PWR000 for each column

PWR000 XSMC 00 0 0
PWR000 XSMC 01 0 0

I have 2 columns, the first is 2 core/net on the bottom and 2 IPE on top, and the 2nd is 3 IPE (bottom 2 powered down as mentioned).

As long as you see those PWR000 for each column you are good to go

Excellent, thanks for confirming that for me.

Easy fix. Remove the tiny bulb or black tape over the light.[thumbsup2]

I used to have super powers but my therapist took them away...

Two empty shelves sounds like an excellent space to place a couple of multi-GPU mining rigs ! Hmmm....
- lots of room, good airflow, extra power...out-of-sight.....now, if you could just find GPUs at a decent price!
cough...cough...

I went on a site survey once on an Option 81 once to see if we wanted to pick up maintenance on it. Every column had the alarm LED lit. Customer told me he thought that was the power light. I ran fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back