Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutoff Security in Access 2003 db using Access 2007 or Access 2010 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOEYB99

Technical User
Jul 9, 2008
CA

I have inherited an Access 2003 database with user level security. that is, an mdb file with a corresponding MDW file.

I want to use this database in access 2007 or access 2010, or at least make a copy of it and modify it.

But I am unable to copy or export any of the objects, or open certain objects in Design view. I get the message "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time....you do not have permission to 'form...'....you must have Read Design permission for it.

I have done some research on the internet and it sounds like I will need a copy of Access 2003 (program). Is that true? Do I have any other options?

Or, is there anyway I can open/run the mdb file along with the corresponding mdw file in Access 2007 or Access 2010?

I've used security in Access 2003 but never in a later version. From what I've read, You can't modify permissions without Access 2003... If you know a user that has "read design" and "read data" permission to all relevant objects as a rule of thumb you can import everything to a new file and thereby strip away permissions. The tricky part would be if the MDW has default permissions to lock things down... If so you'd at least need access 2003 to reopen the permissions. So I guess the answer is, it depends on the security. On the flip side you need a user account that has permission to change permissions if you have Access 2003 (above if you can import, the owner user alaways has permision to set permission). Beyond that, Access security is said to be weak so you may be able to search for a tool to help you out.

One more thought, you may be able to find a document that has the PID's used to create the workgroup security file and various groups in it if the original developer was kind enough to document it. You would need Access 2003 to create a replacement workgroup file, but these PID's are actually what have security context, the MDW only provides an authentication to them... Therefore, if you had a copy of the MDW when you knew the password for an account, you could also get in that way.

So in short, I'd find away to get in with some perimssion and secondly import everything into a new MDB file and lastly convert that file.

Good luck.

Thanks lameid.

I have followed your suggestion and was able to achieve my goal.

I was able to obtain a user's id and password and was successful in converting the database to Access 2007, (accdb file format).

Thanks again lameid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back