Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouble1

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
US
I am having a problem gaining control of my computer. Seems like a virus or worm. I thought it was the blaster worm but it hasn't been found. I can't install the microsoft updates or a virus program. When I go to look around in the registry I find that regedit shuts down also.
Is this problem familiar to anyone? It happened right after an upgrade to the XP OS and installation of a router to share my DSL modem.
Appreciate any replies.

First try starting in safe mode also disconnect from your network. Then install and run your virus scanner. Upgrading XP or a fresh install leaves you vulnerable to any number of infections. Use a friends computer to put a free firewall (try using zonelabs zonealarm, it's free and easy to configure) on disk. Once we get this problem fixed you will install the firewall before you go online and get all the patches. Let me know how this works out.

First try rebooting.

Thanks for your response. I found a worm called AGABOT.SN using an online virus scanner. I had to delete one of 5 files in safe mode with command prompt but after that was gone I could install the patches and the Grisoft virus program. Now I will have a look at zonealarm. I would pay a reasonable price for these programs if off the shelf ones are more effective. Thanks again. Very frustrating experience.

Nah, a free one would be sufficient. If you insist on buying one off the shelf, my preference is one by McAfee.

First try rebooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back