Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2001
US
I was trying to use the Shutdown -y -g0 -i0 in the CDE Window and it just came up with a pound sign.
I was trying to boot again with the boot -s command but nothing was happening so I just used the Stop+A. Then from there, i did a shutdown -y -g0 -i6. It came up cleanly. Was it okay to go ahead and use the Stop +A command there?

Dear
U can try
# sync
# init 0

instead.. but refrain from Stop+A till emergency situations....
Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

What happens if you do not issue the sync or the go command after you type in the stop+a?

Whenever you issue a stop-a, you risk corruption. Issuing the sync command a couple of times immediately before reduces that risk but will not eliminate it.

I suggest a couple of things. First log in using the command line option. Second after issuing the shutdown, look for processes that have the string /etc/rc3.d/K or /etc/rc2.d/K in them. Those are scripts that are trying to shutdown any processes currently running. Shutdown may not bring down any databases (Oracle or Sybase) running at the time.

Only after everything else fails, send a couple of "sync" commands and then hit the stop-a

I've experienced the same problem with shutdown and found that it was taking 20 - 30 minutes to unmount the filesystems. Now I use init 6 to shutdown and reboot and init 5 to shutdown and power off the server. Both of these are alot quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back