Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown problems ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patcon55

Technical User
May 16, 2001
US
I have a client with an HP Vectra NT 4.0 SP6a who's machine keeps rebooting after selecting the shutdown bullet. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Unfortunately no!!! but i would be extremely grateful if someone did.
I also have a HP Vectra VL running NT 4.0 sp6, which does exactly the same.
Any ideas anyone?

I had the same problem on a different system. From what I found out the user went into the power management utilities of the BIOS and set his system to "power-on after power failure" I'm not sure of the exact wording in the BIOS but the affects are the same. When the system would power down automatically, the BIOS would treat that as a power failure and power the system back on. Don't know if this is the same but couldn't hurt to check. david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Same problem here with a different system. Haven't solved it yet.

I ran in to this with HP Vectra systems in my NOC. There is a registry setting for "PowerOffAfterShutDown" (or words to that effect) which when set to a value of 1 (on) would cause the system to reboot after a shutdown. I believe this is located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon but I haven't got an NT box in front of me at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back