Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitizenBleys

Programmer
Jul 12, 2003
CA
I'm the administrator of a shared Windows XP Professional computer; I often leave the computer for long periods of time with processes running in the background, such as AOL Instant Messenger (So that people who need to contact me can leave a message on my Away message). I've enabled Fast User Switching, and always hit WinKey+L before I leave the office so that the other user can easily log in and use the computer while I'm away, without shutting down my applications.

Lately, whenever I return to my computer, I find myself logged off. I'm not sure what's causing it; Initially, I thought that I'd accidentally defined a group policy that logged inactive users off after a set period of time, but I have left the computer running on the Welcome screen overnight without getting logged out, and I just took a one-hour walk, and came back to find myself logged out.

I'm thinking that the other user of this computer is responsible, although he's not around to ask questions, and probably doesn't even know what he's doing to cause problems, so I'm trying to set up the computer to avoid the problem.

It's possible that I'm just forgetting to log out, and so he, not knowing the difference between logging out and switching users, is going into the start menu and logging me out so he can access his own account. To deal with this, I've disabled the Log Off button in group policy, and wrote a Visual C++ program (because I don't know how to use VBScript) which calls the ExitWindowsEx API function and put a shortcut to it on his desktop.

* Is it possible to use ExitWindowsEx to call Fast User Switching instead of Log Off, so that I can put an identical icon on my desktop that switches users instead of logging off? I have Visual Studio 6, and my help file predates XP, so it's no help
* Is it possible to make it so that my Administrator account *cannot* be logged out without a password?
*Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Start the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
Scroll down to Interactive logon: Do not display last user name
Set it to Enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back