Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brode

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
Hohum, another day, another Win 98 SE problem. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

After years of faithful service, my system is now giving me grief when I try to shut down or restart. It goes to the "windows is shutting down" window and there it stays until I power down and then power up again.

Anyone know what could have caused this sudden "attack" and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Brode

Brode, this can be any number of things. Firstly, empty the Windows temp directory. If the Windows temp gets too full it can cause problems. Shut the PC down and see if the problem still occurs. If it does still occur, try installing the latest drivers for your video card...I had the exact problem and it fixed it. Finally, if the problem remains, try a different power supply unit in the PC and see what happens.

------------------------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
------------------------------------

Use the taskmanager to find witch program causes the shutdown hang.

Kill one program/service,e.g program A ( Not explorer & systray)
Try shutdown , if okay it's the program/service A that causes it .

If not okay .
Use the taskmanager and kill program/service A + B.
If it shuts down it's the program B that causes it .

Repeat this until only explorer and systray is running
and if there is a program/service causing it you will find
out witch one it is , so further fault locating can
be concentrated to that one.

Thanks, everyone. Using the msconfig technique I unchecked what turned out to be more than one program being loaded and unloaded twice, and using the technique of going through one program after another via task manager and turning them off I've gotten things sorted out.

The program that refused to shut down was something called Limewire, a file-sharing program added by an employee who is no longer around.

Live and learn.

Brode

Hei problemas con windows 98 not shutting down....

If you are on a LAN go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download the Mapped Drive Shutdown patch. without the patch it hangs at shutdown.

Also we use Norton here and on an older pute can also cause a it to hang at shutdown.

We sometimes use a program we found on the web (free of course) called Shut Me Down with a big yellow smiley face.

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions on my Windows Shut Down problem, most of which I tried and most of which seemed to work for awhile, but only for awhile.

I think I've gotten to the bottom of things now and want to pass on what I've learned. An employee loaded a file-sharing program called LimeWire onto this machine, downloaded a bunch of popular programs via our dsl connection, and to make a long story short the computer has been in constant upload mode, with lines of file-seekers stacked up waiting to get their hands on material I didn't even know was in here.

The result of all th is 24 hour a day activity seems to have been a huge drain of ram, which, strangely, caused a lot of crashes of programs like Office and Internet Explorer, and also kept the box from having enough memory to do anything but hang when I would try to deliberately shut it down.

The answer has been to delete LimeWire. Since then, no problems. (And no, I don't have the Paris Hilton sex movie. Anymore.)

From now on no one gets access to this machine but me.

Thanks again,

Brode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back