Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown or Halt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmitch

Technical User
Feb 2, 2007
US
Everyone,

I need to power off a SCO system. Which is the desired method, using Halt or Shutdown? What is the difference?

Thanks
Tim

I've never heard of "halt", but this is generally a clean way to shutdown:

# shutdown -g0 -y -i0

If you wish to shutdown and reboot automatically, change that last argument to " -i6 ".

My guess is that "halt" won't go through all the same steps to stop various processes. I remember "haltsys" from the Xenix days, but I'm dating myself.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Which flavor of SCO is supposed to have an halt command ?

5.0.x has haltsys I've never heard of halt. Haltsys just powers off.

Exact name is haltsys. It is front-end procedure to uadmin command, which, according man ADM uadmin "is not for general use". You can see

# vi /etc/haltsys

Shutdown is front-end procedure to /etc/init, primarily init 0. Most concern is to inform users for near end of operation of server. Idea is to start shutdown a time before (hours, even morning) and shutdown will remind users more and more frequently until real stop.

You can see
# vi /etc/shutdown
I do not mention of course about man shutdown, hope this help :) :) :)

If you are absolutely sure you will not harm the processes
of users you can issue haltsys or reboot
As I try many times, it is safety. And much faster than shutdown. If not sure can recommend fastest form:
# shutdown -g0 -y
Immediate shutdown (0 minutes gracetime), 'Y' to all questions of shutdown "are sure ? etc"

Thanks everyone. Another of our UNIX systems (not a SCO box) runs a command called halt, which brings the system to a halted state. I was able to use the shutdown command, which worked fine.

Thanks
Tim

In the SCO box you may simply use this:
init 0

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

In addition of the PHV's reply, you can use:
# init 6
(reboot of the server)

Status
Not open for further replies.