Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown, new on Clariion EMC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

predamarcel

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
RO
Hi,

I'm new on Clariion EMC stuff.
Next day our company should relocate a feew unix servers + a Clariion diskarray, (CX series I think).
My question is: how can I do a proper shoutdown of the disk array?

All that I know is that after servers shutdown I have to wait a feew minutes untill the Clariion will write the cache to the disk.
But after?
Just to unpluged the power supply ?!

Thank you,
Marcel

___
____

Once the servers are down, turn off the switches on the Standby Power Supply (there are two). They should be located at the base of the primary disk enclosure. You should see two ac plugs on each SPS and the switch is next to the plugs. It will take approximately two minutes for the batteries to run down and the cache to be dumped. The DPE (the bottom unit) is the only one that will power off. The DAE's (expansion enclosures) will stay on until you power off the cabinet.

An extra precaution you can take is to turn off write cache thru Navisphere or CLI before you shut down.

Of course, the obvious needs to be stated... get a backup before you shut anything down... just in case.

Under the storage tab, right click on the top of the tree and select properties, then select the cache tab.. you'll see a check box.

sorry,
no X GUI, only command line access.
So, I need a command.
I'm sure that the Navisphere agent is running.

l1000db1 # ps -ef | grep -i navi
root 1767 1 0 May 22 ? 20:01 /opt/Navisphere/bin/naviagent -f /etc/Navisphere/agent.confi
root 8031 7771 0 15:04:27 pts/tb 0:00 grep -i navi

Regards,
Marcel

___
____

Sorry... navicli commands are documented in the mancli.txt file. You're command should be something similar to this:
navicli -d arraydevice -h hostname setcache -wc 0
wc 0 disables ..wc 1 enables.

If you have an SPS, when the power gets shut off to your array, your SPS will signal the loss of power. The controllers will flush their cache and go into write-cache-disabled mode. So shutting off the write cache by hand is redundant.

It is safer to do it that way, you might have a faulty SPS and if the battery doesn't last long enough to flush the cache, then you might have problems.

So, if I were doing this for a customer or the data was critical, I'd think about manually turning off the write cache. but if your system is running correctly and you allow your SPSes to be tested weekly by the system, you shouldn't have to manually turn off the cache.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

squiddog,

Having seen a number of sps's that look good, fail, I think the precaution of turning off write cache is not redundant. Just two weeks ago I didn't follow my own advice and ended up with a dirty cache situation. It's much safer to take the extra step.

Maultier-

You have a point there. Recovering from dirty cache will turn most users hair gray, and SPSs are the weak link on a CLARiiON.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back