Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown during POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkie

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
GB
I attempted to boot my PC after I had changed a noisy CPU fan,the fan did stop for about 2 seconds, there was one long beep during the post after which the PC shut down, nothing is visible on the monitor.The BIOS is Award.
Is my CPU fried ?

someone said in another post cpu errors dont beep...
i would check to make your that is the process of changing the fan that you didnt inavertly pull a card especially video or ram check to make sure every thing is still seated snuggly

I have taken all the cards and memory out and reseated them all, still the same problem.

another possiblity was this a cpu fan that you replaced? and was it a 3 wire plug? some boards will not turn on if the bios does not get the message that a cpu fan is plugged in and working properly

Yes it was the CPU fan I replaced, it has a 3 wire plug, the replacement fan is very similar the only difference being the size of the heat sink.

is it possible that the fan is faulty not sending a signal back to tell the pc that it is working properly?

Many thanks for your help, Ive just plugged the old fan back in and hey presto! the PC booted up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back