Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdon XP-Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hal8185

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
I have a problem and need some help. I recently installed Windows XP Pro and have run into a problem while on the internet. I am use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.02 after about 25 mins. online,I receive the folllowing message.

The systen is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was intiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: x.xx

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call(RPC) service terminated unexpectedly.

At this time the machine shutdown and reboots to the desktop.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on, if so how do you fix the problem?

that is the most likely the msblast.exe virus.

to stop the shutdown you can hit these keys in this order.

windows key + r then type "cmd" (no qoutes)and hit enter
at the command prompt type "shutdown -a" (no quotes again)

Then hit ctrl+alt+del and stop the msblast.exe from running in the task manager. Then you can do a search on it and delete the file itself. Then run a good virus scan and get rid of it. Then whenever your online always have a good active virus scanner running to catch these things.

Semper Fi
My new Baby BOY!!

Search this forum for references to the MSblaster worm. It sounds like you have this infection.

Enable firewall protection. Update your Windows Installation from the Windows Update Site. Obtain Virus Protection software with updated virus definitions.

Free online scanners
faq760-3862

If your machine tries to shutdown while you are updating type Shutdown /a in the Start Run box to prevent the shutdown so you can complete your downloads.

Thanks for the info. You all were right on. I did alive update of my Norton and sure enough the it was W32 Blaster Worm. All fix now and run smooth. Thanks again.

Hal8185

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back