Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shut down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redman71

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
Hi
I have several Win2K machines, and most shut down when I do Start - Shut Down, but some others don't. I get the message, "It's now safe to turn your machine off". Is there a way to force the machine to shut itself off as opposed to getting this message?

thanks

This could be entirely false, but have you checked in the Bios or the machines that don't do the 'quick shutdown'? I vagly remember something about some pc's quick shutdown option is in the bios.. I should of been a doctor..

I have had that problem in the past and after playing around with the power management settings in the BIOS it worked. But I have no idea what exactly I did.Different machines different BIOS.

There's also the possibility (if older machines) that they have AT motherboards which do not support software power off.

I have a similar occurence with my machines. If I shut them down "by hand" then they power off. If I shut them down using a remote shutdown program, then I get the now safe message and have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to shut the machine off, then punch it again after releasing because the machine powers back up.

I'm running Win2k on all my machines, the drives are all ghosted copies of the same drive. The machines are all the same, Dell Precision 410's, and all have the same bios.

Go to Device Manager-View-Show hidden devices then enable NT APM/Legacy Support.
HTH

I don't see NT APM/Legacy Support

Is that the info for win2K?

I have a problem with a user that has windows 2000
running netware client, when user locks his workstation
and returns after say 10 minutes. windows 2000 start shutting down.. anyone had this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back