Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shut down script???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick150

Technical User
Oct 22, 2004
GB
Hello everyone :D

I have a Back-UPS cs 350 with APC powerchute personal edition software running it, on an XP prfoessional machine.

Everything works fine at present, i was just wondering if it was possible to edit the shut down script it uses when closes down machines. I know others have asked this question before but so far i've not been able to find one with a response :(

I have found a file called force which supposedly deals with the shutdown of windows 98 and ME,but not one for XP???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Ricky

Hello

Just in case anyone else is having trouble with this it seems as though its imposssible at this time to change the shutdown script for APC UPS. However APC do another form of UPS called Smart-UPS. With a Smart-UPs system its possible to run Powerchute Business edition (providing its connected to the computer via a serial cable NOT a USB cable), the smart-UPS i used only had serial connection, i'm unsure as to wether other models have a choice or not.

Powerchute Business edition does have the capacity to modify the shutdown script or even run your own batch file. I created one to remotely shutdown our second server and then got Powerchute to run that file before it initiated the shutdown sequence.

In the case of a powercut both systems will now gracefully shutdown.

Hope this helps some people out there.

Ricky

Newer Smart-UPS units have serial & USB ports.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

aha :D

Thanks for clearing that up Rick, i wasn't sure ;)But its always useful to know!!

Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back