Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shut down problem an old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSchotte

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
DE
I got a PC that is nearly 5years old and I installed Win2k. Now everything works perfectly and runs fine, but as soon as I want to shutdown the machine it tells me "It is now save to switch off your PC".
Before as there was Win98 on it, it switched off by itself why not now is it mayby because of the (old) Mainboard.

In win2k you must go to control panel-power options and check the power managment box.also make sure in the bios it is enabled.

Hello MrSchotte, you need to keep in mind that some older computers did not have a soft power off option. For those machines you do need to manually switch the power off. This (soft power off) is a function of the motherboard in your computer and if it doesn't exist some of the funtionality of newer OS will not work.

As I had Win98 on the machine the (soft power off) button was working. The function itself is enabled in the bios, but the win2000 can't recognize the advanced power management of the Mainboard. Why?

I use AutoIt (freeware at to shutdown and one can give it parameters.
1 as parameter does like your computer does i.e. stops at that screen and waits for you to power off.
8 as parameter shuts down and powers off.
Maybe this helps you on the way (My guess there is a setting in win2k to solve your problem) but if not, you could also consider to download Autoit and make a shortcut on your desktop with "autoit.exe shutdown 8".
It should work and it's fast and easy.

Do this:
Go to control panel
double clicks the display properties
select screen saver, click Power button
select APM
put a check mark on the Advanced Power Management.

This should solved your problem.

If I check mark the APM the pc doesn't shutdown anymore,
the "blue screen of death" appears and the pc restarts then.
It happens everytime I wan't to shutdown until I switch the APM off then it would shutdown until the message "It is now save to turn off your computer" appears and I switch off the power at the back of the computer. That's so annoying!

This means that your bios is out of date, you need to upgrade, or live with. I had the same problem, i flashed the bios with the latest version, and it worked...BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN FLASHING THE BIOS, ONE SCREWUP, AND YOU NOW HAVE A VERY EXPENSIVE PAPER WEIGHT. Just a saftety note.

Thanks,
James
[shadeshappy] [evil]
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot." ~bumper sticker

Try Steve Gibson's Wizmo. Go to It has just solved a win98 that wouldn't completely shutdown. very easy to use. Does other stuff too.

I'll have to agree with devilman0. You should upgrade the bios, or if you happen to have the drivers for the mother board then you should reinstall them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back