Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shrinking debugging windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielap

Technical User
Aug 2, 2003
GB
I mostly work on a small notebook so debug environment is set to Foxpro frame.
On starting VFP and setting breakpoints, the trace and watch windows are the size and position I make them, and initally behave as expected. But after a while (and a few errors - I'm a poor typist) the watch window contracts to a small square top L of the screen, and occasionally the trace window does the same.

This seems to be somehow related to the resource file; setting reso off or re-loading my start-up copy of Foxuser restores default behaviour.

I've tried re-installing VFP (v7 sp1), also setting the Watchexpression record's readonly to .t. in Foxuser. but the debugging windows still collapse after a few typo-generated errors.

Explanation and particularly cure appreciated

I can't explain and give you a fix for that, other than upgrading Foxpro, I don't see that behaviour in VFP9. The easiest thing to do might be to choose the seperate debug frame instead of foxpro frame. One thing you have in debug frame is the debugger menu and especially the "restore to default" menu item of the Windw menu.

Bye, Olaf.

Arielap, you're right that the settings are stored in the resource file, but the problem isn't specific to VFP 7. I've seen it occasionally in VFP 9. I find it irritating when it happens to me, but I just have a little moan and restore the windows.

It's the same class of problems as program editing windows that never open full-screen, and line and column numbers disappearing from an editor's status bar.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Hm,

Mike, this makes me think.

At least disappering line and column numbers are easily fixed: Go into options, IDE tab, go through all the different window types and tick both "override individual settgins" and "show line column position". Then the individual per file/method settings for showing line/column don't matter anymore.

The only things hindering their display then are SET MESSAGE TO 'somemessage', which you can turn off by SET MESSAGE TO, wothout specifying a message, and of course SET STATUS BAR ON.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks gentlemen. Looks as though I have to stay with Mike on this one.

What I do atm is to keep a 50 record 'base' foxuser in a non-Fox folder(H:\). This just has my working enviroment as I want it. I also have the following lines at the top of my Command.PRG
set reso off
!copy H:\foxuser.* h:\vfp7
set reso on
which, when executed, does quickly restore normality, but I was hoping there would be something I could do for a permanent cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back