Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Showing an average value on a chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny100

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
NZ
Hi Folks

** Sorry but I posted this in the Crystal Reports 1 Formulas Forum yesterday but think this is a better forum for it. **

Here's an excerpt of the data I'm using in my chart:

Place Value
Site1 10
Site2 15
Site3 16
... ..

Each 'Value' is a formula field and is simply a total of all values for that 'Place' e.g. for Site1 there are 3 values - 4 + 5 + 1 = 10.

The chart shows a 'Value' for each change of 'Place'. However I'd also like to include either a line running the whole width of the chart to show the average of all 'Value's or a separate 'Place' entry (called 'Average') showing the average.

Is this possible? There doesn't seem to be a way to add an average value to a chart.

Cheers!

What is this the average of, the values comprising each place's value, or the average of all values, or?

Crystal has trendlines which might be what you're after, please specify.

-k

Hi there. I want to show the average of ALL values on the chart. Therefore I'd like either a dummy data point in the graph with a name like 'Average' OR a line running the width of the chart. Possible?

I've looked at trend lines but they don't seem to do what I want. There is no option to have a total average which, in my case, would be a line running horizontal across the chart.

... thinking about it more, perhaps it's possible to do conditional colouring of areas of the chart to show all entries below average? That would be acceptable too.

Bummer ... just found conditional formatting for the chart but it only allows you to set a fixed number to test against, not a number from the result of a formula.

You could pass the average as a link from a main report into a subreport (where you would place the chart). That would turn the average from a 2nd pass formula (in the main report) to a 1st pass formula inside the subreport, and hence should allow you to chart it.

hth,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

If you right click on the chart and go into the chart analyzer and select the bar or line and right click, you will see "Curve Fit and Stat Lines." If you click on this and choose mean, you should get the average line you are looking for.

-LB

Go with LB's advice. It works and it's much simpler than the subreport approach... :eek:)

Cheers,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

I want an average line on my chart but there is no chart analyzer in CR9. I tried adding a formula for the average as more data which puts the line there but then I get data labels at every division of the data axis. I can't turn off the data labels as I need it for the field I am charting. Any ideas?

If 9.0 is like 11.0, then right click on one of the bars->trendlines->mean.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back