Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shower list from wedding guest list 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMANER

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
I am working on a db for a wedding. I have a family table and another for individual family members. A member may me invited to 1 or more parties. Some will be for couples. I may be brain dead but all I can think of is a y/n box for each separate event on the guest table. Suggestions?

I posted this in the form forem but think it fits better here sorry for the duplication (JBM) Good luck and may God bless.

Since a yes or no field is the smallest it is very effective way of keeping track of this type of info. Also since this is a very limited data base and not long lived I would keep it simple even if it was a flat db

Mark

In deference to Mr. Richards. No matter how small or short lived the db is, it is still better to follow the Forms of Data Normalization. In fact, following these forms even for small dbs will usually result in faster development times.

I am hoping to give the DB program to my church after the wedding (my doughters) for general use by others so I am trying to do somethings I would skip on mine. I am thinking about a tabel of shower guests but am worried about duplicates. Good luck and may God bless.

Sounds like a many to many relationship between events and people

I would use one table for all names.

GuestID - PK
Name
Address

Another Table for events

EventID - PK
EventName
Date
Dirrections

And another for events and names

ID - PK
EventID
GuestID

Then have an "Event" form.
The events form can contain a subform whose record source is the events and names table. The subform would contain a combobox whos row source is the guests table.

Just be sure to tell the bride not to use mailing labels (instead of hand writing the invitations) or my aunt bessie (shes quite old fasioned) wont talk to her for a month.
Dave
gallagherd@earthlink.net

Not very good with Access. I'm getting married in one year and am looking for a MS Access Wedding database. Did you ever complete your database? Do you know where I could download an Wedding database?

Thanks in advance.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I did complete it to a point. Send me an email address to jbmaner@hotmail.com and I will zip & send what I did.
Jim Good luck and may God bless.

In the same vein, does anyone know of a repository for databases such as this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back