Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show system and/or hidden files

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanvelas

Programmer
Apr 22, 2001
CO
I have a huge question, i hope someone can answer it.

First remember when you go to windows explorer and then you go to view, then folder options, then select view and then you select show all files, do not show hidden files or do not show hidden and system files.
Ok what i need is a Visual Basic proyect where there are three buttons, if you click on the first one it will work as show all files, if you click to the second one it will work as do not show hidden files and the third one will work as do not show hidden or system files.

Thanks.

What are you showing the files in? Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Peter Meachem,
The idea is to create a shortcut, so you don´t have to go all the way to "view, folder options,,,,,etc", instead you click a button for showing all files everywhere("that is hidden files, system files, and normal files) and i you want to hide them again (so your child won´t erase them) you click the second button or the third one.
I hope i answer your question

First and foremost... I have never done this but here is my assumption. The Reg key that is changed when the view options are changed is "ShellState" in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Windows
Current Version
Explorer

The tricky part is figuring out what part of the hex code determines the viewing options state. My key value has 16 hex values seperated by spaces. I believe the hex value that determines the viewing options is the fifth value in from the left. Play around with that value but PLEASE export your registry file before hand. Better to be safe then sorry =)... i have been sorry too many times!

Matt

Ok I finally got it right
I created a form with three buttons.
then the code to edit the registry
Private Sub Command1_Click()

Call Shell("regedit c:\windows\escrit~1\showall.reg", 1)
End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
Call Shell("regedit c:\windows\escrit~1\no_hidden.reg", 1)
End Sub

Private Sub Command3_Click()
Call Shell("regedit c:\windows\escrit~1\no_system.reg", 1)
End Sub

inside showall.reg there is:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Hidden"=dword:00000001

inside no_hidden.reg there is:
REGEDIT4

"Hidden"=dword:00000002

inside no_system.reg there is:
REGEDIT4