Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show specific headers and lists under quick launch to certain users

Status
Not open for further replies.

staciann

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2006
US
Hi. I am wondering if there is a way to limit which items from the quick launch are shown to each user. I understand that items will not show up if a user has no rights to the list - I cannot take away users rights. This is exactly what I'm trying to do:

Employee A edits a newsletter library. I only want her to see that link in the quick launch.

Employee B edits lists of news, events, birthdays, and announcements. I only want her to have access to those 4 lists.

I need them to both be able to view each other's lists though.

Is this possible? Please let me know if you need more info.

Thatnks,
Staci

Staci – Using Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, MS Dynamics SL (Solomon) Version 7.0, Salesforce 12, SharePoint Foundations 2010, Crystal Reports Version 10 & Adobe CS5

Audience is what you are wanting.

Depending on your site template or features that are enabled, this path might be different.

Site Actions --> Site Settings --> Navigation

_layouts/AreaNavigationSettings.aspx

Scroll down to the Navigation Editing and Sorting area. Select the items you are wanting to show/hide.
Click Edit...
When the modal opens, you will see the Audience box. In this box you can use SharePoint Groups, Global Audiences, or Distribution/Security Groups.

This also comes in REAL handy when working with Web Parts.

I am using Foundations - no audience option. Is there a way to do it here?

Staci – Currently using Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, MS Dynamics SL (Solomon) Version 7.0, Salesforce 12, SharePoint Foundations 2010, Crystal Reports Version 10 & Adobe CS5

Actually, there is no "navigation" option at all.

Staci – Currently using Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, MS Dynamics SL (Solomon) Version 7.0, Salesforce 12, SharePoint Foundations 2010, Crystal Reports Version 10 & Adobe CS5

can you enable the SharePoint Server Publishing feature?

or test it out on a 'test' site?

Site Actions --> Site Settings --> Manage site features

SharePoint Server Publishing
Create a Web page library as well as supporting libraries to create and publish pages based on page layouts.

This will allow you to see the Navigation link in the Site Settings page.

No, as far as I can tell that is not a Foundations feature. It's not listed as an option under features.

Do you have access to the root site / site collection settings?

if so, activate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure in Site Collection Settings.

There is nothing called SharePoint Server Publishing. Again, we are using Foundations, not Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back