Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show results of SQL accross in columns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 1999
US
I have a table that looks something like this:

protocol varchar2(12) not null - pk
patient varchar2(12) not null - pk
coldate date not null - pk
testname varchar2(32) not null- pk
testresult_num number(11,5)
testresult_text varchar2(20)

I would like to produce results that for each unique protocol,patient,coldate to display horizontally the testname and result (either the testresult_num or testresult_text, whichever is not null). So the output would look something like this:

Protocol Patient Date WBC RBC PREG
ABCDEFG 12345 20021023 22.22 3.33 Negative
DEFGHIJ 78906 20011022 5.55 Positive

Any help in this is much appreciated! Thanks

Does it mean that the number of columns in the query results will depend on the row values ?

If it is what you want to do, you will have to use PL/SQL to generate dynamic queries.

Otherwise, you can use a reporting tool such as Business Objects and create dynamic cross tables.

The number of columns are fixed, in that I know the maximum number of row values that could occur. So I can interpret them using the decode function to flip the result set. However I am not sure how to handle the numeric/varchar2 value in the result set.

You may try

select protocol,patient,coldate, max(decode(testname,'WBC',to_char(testresult_num)||' '||test_result_text,NULL)) as WBC, max(decode(testname,'RBC',to_char(testresult_num)||' '||test_result_text,NULL)) as RBC ...
from yourtable
group by protocol,patient,coldate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back