Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show query criteria on my report

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyx666

MIS
Apr 13, 2006
GB
ok basically i have a query.

there are many jobs stored on different dates

i use the following criteria

Between [start date:] And [end date:]

to display only jobs between the 2 dates i enter.

this works fine.. however, is there any way that i can display the freshly entered criteria on the report..

perhaps putting something in the control source of a textbox maybe??

so at the top of the report it says

Report from 'this date' To 'that date'

the field is called 'jobdate'

any suggestions?

You could create a text box in the header with a Control Source:
[tt]="From: " & Min([jobdate]) & " To: " & Max([jobdate])[/tt]

The disadvantage is that it will show the dates available, not the dates chosen. Alternatively, you could use a small form for the dates and set your query and report to reference the form.

is there no other way to display the dates entered

Add a text box to your report with a control source of:
="Between " & [start date:] & " And " & [end date:]

You should never use parameter prompts like this for your users. Try to change all of these to use controls on forms.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

I created 2 columns in the Select part of the query to use on the report.

Select ....,[start date:] as StartDate, [end date:] as EndDate
From.......

I hope this helps.....

Tonyx666,
If this is what you entered
="Between " & [start date:] & " And " & [end date:]
then you should not see error. This assumes your record source returns at least one record and the name of the text box is not also the name of a field.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

The error usually occures when there is no data for that particular control (ie null).
As dhookom says, It is better to have the user input the information on a form then open the report and reference the dates fields to the form.

Ian Mayor (UK)
Program Error
Programming is 1% coding, 50% error checking and 49% sweat as your application bombs out in front of the client.

ok let me try and fix that and ill let you lot know what happens.

thank you

ok

it now displays

Between 3 7 And 8 7

this is actually what i pressed because i wanted to find out the records from 3rd of July to the 8th of July..

is there any way to format the control to display the value 3 7 as 3rd July??

i know that i should use a form for report generating and i shall do so in the future but right now i need a solution to this if there is one.

Are you actually entering [red]3 7[/red] And [red]8 7[/red] as parameters without any / or - to delimit/format your date values?

Duane MS Access MVP

yes..

its quicker and easier to do that

is there a way to turn
'3 7' into '3rd July' on the control using some kind of format?

I should have added "How are you using [red]3 7[/red]" to filter your report. I guess Access is being very generous and correctly converting the entry to a date.

You would need to find some code to add the "rd" but can use:
="Between " & Format(cDate([start date:]), "mmmm d") & " And " & Format(cDate([end date:]), "mmmm d")

In the time it has taken to respond and reply and ask questions and post, you could have created a many nice forms for entering your parameters.

Duane MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back