Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show line/column position in Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs6600

Programmer
Sep 23, 2005
GB
Hi,

I frequently cannot see line numbers on methods since upgrading from VFP6 to 9.

This did happen in 6 but Edit/Properties/Apply to method + Save preferences would usually switch them back on. It doesn't in 9.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Bill

Bill Spence,
Dunfermline, Scotland

I should have said that the word 'Standard' appears where the line/column should be.

Bill Spence,
Dunfermline, Scotland

Bill,

This is a long-running sore. It has not worked consistently in any recent version. You will generally find that the setting persists for a few sessions, then reverts to not showing the line numbers. You have to constantly reset it manually.

The only solution that comes to mind is to create a keyboard macro that makes the required setting whenever it is needed.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Thanks, Mike.

9 never seems to enable the numbers.

I just tried editing with VFP 6, enabled the line/column OK

Then back to 9 - can enable them!

Oh well, as a scot I know these things are just sent to try us.

Bill Spence,
Dunfermline, Scotland

Bill,

I seem to get pretty consistent display of line and column in VFP9. In Tools/Options/IDE you have to have Show line/column position checked for ALL the different file and window types.
Then when I lose it, it seems that SET NOTIFY ON gets it back for me more than not. I haven't had to do anything to get it to display in weeks.

pamela

In Tools | Options | IDE check "Show Line, Column Position" but check in addition "override individual settings". Click in button "Set as Default".

Note that you have separate settings for Program files, code window, procedures and a few more. You must change the settings for all the windows you want, and click Set as default every time.

In Tools | Options | View check "Status bar".

I'd suggest the same as Pamela and Vladimir Zografski. If the display in the status bar does not work despite of that general setting, it can have to do with NOTIFY, MESSAGE and STATUSBAR settings.

What works for me is
Code:
SET MESSAGE TO
-or-
SET STATUS BAR OFF and ON again
-or-
SET NOTIFY ON

Defining a makro that does all this should help in any case.

Bye, Olaf.

Thank you all!

I'll follow your advice.

Bill Spence,
Dunfermline, Scotland

try
Code:
set status on

the r,c appear on the left top corner.

Nasib

Status
Not open for further replies.