Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show/Hide Layers and SIFR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyHenson

MIS
Mar 11, 2009
US
I used javascript with HTML to show and hide divisions via the OnClick action. Worked great until I added SIFR, which converts my text to Flash. Now I can't get the layers to hide. Is this a commonly known issue? If so, are there any quick fixes? Thank you for your help.

Hi

Maybe would be enough to wrap the element containing the text in another pair of [tt]div[/tt]s. But of course we can say it for sure only if we see your page's source. An URL to it would be great.

Feherke.

Some advice:

1. Ditch Flash. You hardly need it to display a simple list of text - which is all you appear to be using it for.

2. Ditch your old browser sniffing code. Testing for NN4 and IE4 is something I stopped doing over 6 years ago, so doing it now is just so unnecessary. Just use regular DOM methods and your code should work in all modern browsers.

3. Learn how to use 'for' loops. Your code is about 10 times bigger than it needs to be.

4. Don't use tables for layout (see 'sec9').

5. Fix the JS errors... as a starter, 'flashMovie.Rewind() is not a function'.

6. Specify 'type' attributes on your style and script elements.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back