Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show Get vs Show Gets with Memo Field @Edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brak

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
US
Hello,

I am running into a problem.

I have a few memo fields displayed on a screen via @Edits.
When I use show gets all the fields are updated with the scroll bars (along with the data) returned to the top. But if I use for each @Edit an individual Show Get, the fields are updated, but the scroll bars (along with the data) are not returned to the top!

Why is this? How can I cause the @Edit memo field's scroll bar and data return back to the top while using a Show Get, just like it would if I issued a Show Gets?

Also, is there a way to controll the cursor placement in a @Edit memo field, to controll the scroll bars with commands?

Thanks in advance!

B"H
Brak

Brak,
try set proper (negative) return code filled in value by get
Tesar

Tesar,

Can you give a more detailed answer, as I don't understand.

Thanks.

B"H
Brak

I don't have any sample code, I'll explain a little better what I am (trying to) doing.

I have a screen. On the screen I have a few @Edits which have memo fields as their variables. For example:

Edit1 has dbf1.memo1
Edit2 has dbf1.memo2
Edit3 has dbf2.memo1
Edit4 has dbf2.memo2

If I increment a record in dbf1 I want to refresh Edit1 and Edit2, but not Edit3 or Edit4. If I increment a record in dbf2 I want to refresh Edit3 and Edit4, but not Edit1 or Edit2.

The reason for this is because when you do a SHOW GETS it causes the scroll bars in the @Edits to return to the top. I only want the incremented fields to have the scroll bars returned to the top. So I decided to issue a separate SHOW GET for when a refresh is needed. The problem is that the SHOW GET doesn't cause the scroll bars to return to the top.

So my question is why doesn't the SHOW GET cause the scroll bar to return to the top, but the SHOW GETS does? And how can I make the SHOW GET cause the scroll bar to return to the top.

B"H
Brak

I feel so abandoned. :(

Has anyone tried my situation and came up with the same error with the SHOW GET not returning the scroll bar to the top?

I really need help on this one.

Thanks.

B"H
Brak

Well it's not really an error. SHOW GET redisplays a particular object, while SHOW GETS 'refreshes' the entire set of GETS. The important distinction is that with SHOW GET, an object just gets redrawn as is, but SHOW GETS starts from scratch and redraws or updates all the objects on the screen. So it can't maintain a cursor postition within a particular object.

Not that this explanation really provides a solution....

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Dave,

Ok. I thought that the only differnence between the to is that a SHOW GET just refreshes a particular object and that a SHOW GETS refreshes all of the objects.

So if I am understanding properly, the SHOW GETS also updates the object which causes it to lose its cusor position.

So the question is thus:
How can I update the object that I perform an SHOW GET on?

Thanks for the confirmation that this is just a "me problem" but an actual phenom.

Thanks.
This gives me something to go on and has encoraged the wheels to move.

B"H
Brak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back