Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show Gadgets Programmatically 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE66

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
GB
In Windows 7 you can press the Windows Key + G to bring all the gadgets to the front. I am looking at creating an small app to leave in the task bar that you can click with mouse to provide the same result.

I know you can just press Win G but the users want the option just to click something. I am happy creating the app, but cannot find a way to being the gadgets to the front or send the key combination Win + G to the OS.

I have also tried to use AppActivate on the sidebar.exe, but that does not seem to hook up or work.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Next to the clock in the Notification Area you have a clickable "show desktop" button. Clicking on that gives me the same result as Windows Key + G. It allows you to flit between displayed Gadgets and current window.

Thanks, but that minimises the any running apps. The Win+G button brings the gadgets to the front without minimising the current apps.

We are missing the way that the sidebar is docked on Vista and have tools that we need to access.

AutoHotkey is a free, open-source utility for Windows. With it, you can:

•Automate almost anything by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks. You can write a mouse or keyboard macro by hand or use the macro recorder.
•Create hotkeys for keyboard, joystick, and mouse. Virtually any key, button, or combination can become a hotkey.
•Expand abbreviations as you type them. For example, typing "btw" can automatically produce "by the way".
•Create custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars. See GUI for details.
•Remap keys and buttons on your keyboard, joystick, and mouse.
•Respond to signals from hand-held remote controls via the WinLIRC client script.
•Run existing AutoIt v2 scripts and enhance them with new capabilities.
•Convert any script into an EXE file that can be run on computers that don't have AutoHotkey installed.
Getting started might be easier than you think. Check out the quick-start tutorial.

AutoHotkey

AutoIt-- Freeware:

Vbscript Forum.

Thanks for the discussion and specific comments, folks. I may have to remember these little bits if I get around to doing an Access application this century. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Yeah, Microsoft Access. You can build applications right in Access, with the VBA setup. They can run as stand alone apps as well, normally, if you have Access on the pc where it's run. Or if you need it to run on a certain machine with no Access installed, you have to build as an MDE... different file.

I was thinking specifically of an Access database I use to store various bits of info about some recorded audio files. I am wanting to get around to updating that application some time soon.... the way things are going, however, I don't know when/where I'll find the time, EXCEPT... MAYBE.... PERHAPS.... A POSSIBILITY?.... over the Christmas holiday, as I'll be taking almost 2 full weeks off around then and New Years. That'll be the first time I think I've ever been able to do that! Woohoo! [smile]

In college, I was working most of the time on my holiday breaks. Since graduating college (almost 10 years), working full time, typically all my time is gone before I reach Thanksgiving, Christmas, so it'll be a nice treat this year. [wink]

Yeah, that's totally unrelated.

--

Oh yeah, and I was thankful for the info, anyway, in general, in case I can also get time to tinker around with some custom app ideas I've got floating in the old noggin. [wink]

--

Yes I know Access, just couldn't quite see how it related to the thread. No I see it didn't.

Thanks for your input anyway and have fun with Access, in particular if your Access app covers the desktop on Windows 7 and you want to get to your gadgets at the click of a mouse.

Well, the links provided most certainly did not apply solely to Windows 7, nor to the desktop Gadgets. And using SendKeys - as was listed in your link - most certainly does not directly relate either. The thing is, I found it helpful for possible future purposes.. The Windows Key and G thing doesn't really matter directly for an Access App, typically, but then again, who'd of thought someone wanted you or anyone to custom program a short-cut just for that purpose. You never know.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back