Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show Everything on Pull-Down Menus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexxSysProg

Programmer
Jul 2, 2004
US
Where is the setting to get XP to show everything immediately when a pull-down menu is opened, and not have the down arrows at the bottom of the bottom of the menu and the associated delay untill they are all displayed?

What Menu are you talking about?

The Start Menu has a "Scrolling" option - Specifies whether to display the items on the Programs menu as one long scrolling menu or as horizontal pages. Depending on your screen resolution, if you have more than 29 or 38 programs installed, and you select to have one long scrolling menu, you can access the programs you don’t see by clicking the arrow at each end of the list of programs.

You can use this tip to speed up the way menus display in Windows XP.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and click System.

Click the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click the Settings button.

Clear the Fade or slide menus into view check box, and then click OK.

Now when you bring up a collapsed menu, it will expand without delay. (Submitted by Ken Nguyen of Boston, Massachusetts)

Increase Menu Display Speed

Thank you for the information. However, XP says I'm not authorized to make the change.

You haven't donated enough money to your Administrator.

Registry locations as well as files have Permission which must be set to allow you access. Assuming you are looking at changing Registry values, make sure the Permissions are correct. Right-click on a Key to check permissions.

Some settings in Group Policy may be in operation too which are preventing users from making changes.

Thanks linney. Problem is my id has administrator status. And I'm not explicitly trying to change the registry, just trying to change the setting you appended above.

You need to disable "Personailized Menus". Just right-click the Start button, then click on "Properties". From the "Start Menu" tab, select "Customize". Then scroll down through the resulting list till you find "Use Personalized Menus". Uncheck this option.

Note that this will work for all applications EXCEPT Microsoft Office! Office has its own personalized menu-type "feature", which you must also disable.

- Ravashaak

Try "ravashaak's" suggestion if the problem persists post back with your exact error message.

Try this:
1. Start | Settings | Control Panel | Task bar and start menu.
2. Start menu tab.
3. Clasic start menu - Customize
4. Uncheck Use personalized menus

Thanks everyone (stars given to all). It worked and I get the full menus. Now how do I get Excel and Word to also display the full menus? Where do I find its personalized menu control?

Show all the commands on menus.

On the Tools menu, click Customize, and then click the Options tab.
Select the Always show full menus check box.
Note Changing this setting affects all of your Microsoft Office programs.

Troubleshoot Excel toolbars and menus

Microsoft Office Assistance: Troubleshoot toolbars and menus

Thanks linney. On my Word it's actually un-checking the Menus show recently used commands first checkbox but it's the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back