Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show Desktop Quicklaunch missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebeetoo

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
CA
The quick launch button for "Show Desktop" has somehow disappeared. How do I get it back??

To re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar, follow these steps:

Note: These instruction assume %SystemDrive% is C: and %SystemRoot% is C:\Windows. Also replace YourUserName with your logon name.

Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to create a file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder with the following lines:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the new file as a file named Show Desktop.scf. Note that Notepad may automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. Remove this extension if Notepad adds it. These steps do not work if the file is named Show Desktop.scf.txt.

Quit Notepad.

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop.scf file, and then click Create Shortcut .

Drag and drop the shortcut to the Quick Launch tool bar
or
Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder. In Microsoft Windows XP, copy the shortcut to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
If you found this helpful let us know by voting below.

The simple method to restore you "Show Desktop" icon is:
*Right click on the task bar
*Choose "Toolbars"
*Click "Quick Launch"

The icon will return next to the Start button!

-Brett

Thxs guys..I actually have the rest of my quick launch icons....its only the "show desktop" thats missing that i want back,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back