Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show alias in Mail instead of original mailadress 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mberni

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
DE
Hi,
as also asked in thread1582-1399166 we have a similar problem.

We are using JIRA zu fetch Mails from one single Exchange 2007 inbox and want to sort them into different projects, depending on the recipient-email-adresss.

So we have an inbox, let's call it mysupport@mydoain.de

and also several aliases

project1@mydomain.de
project2@mydomain.de

and so on.

The idea is, to sort those Mails going to project1@... into the JIRA-Project1, and so on.

Unfortunately all emails appear in JIRA as adressed to "mysupport@mydomain.de", and such are all routed to the same project.

This is because Exchange replaces the alias with the original mailadress in all ingoing mails.

Of course we could create inboxes on a 1:1 basis for every project, but this not really what we want.

Any ideas how to change this behaviour?

I don't think you can show the alias in the to field but you can create a rule that will look at the message header then you can redirect to a folder based on the alias in the message header.

Bob

Hey Bob,
thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this does not work for me. I have written a rule (with OWA, so it is located on my server) to move mails containing certain text in der mailheader into a certain folder, but exchange rewrites the messageheader, so my rule will never fire.

Is there really no way to do that with Exchange 2007?

Or am i getting something wrong?

Hey Bob,

my admin colleague has finally puzzled out a solution.

1. create a mailbox, i.e. the container for all the aliases you want to create
2. create the aliases that you want and a folder for each alias on a 1:1 base beyond "inbox", e.g. myalias1
3. Login to the mailbox created in (1) via Outlook Web Access (important!)
4. Create a rule which moves all mails containing myalias1@ in the messageheader to folder myalias1
5. Set the mailbox created in (1) to invisible for all exchange-mail lists (important!!!)
6. done

Important: If you miss step 5 the story will not work!

I have just implemented this and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back