Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show 2 hard drive as 1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamet

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2004
US
I've just built a server running xp pro for my building at work. my boss wants to set it up...if possible...have the 2 20gb hard drives to be viewed by the users as just 1 40gb drive. is there a way to do that?

Yes this can be done by using dynamic disks and creating a spanned volume. You can make up to 32 HD seem like one volume (Make 2 HDs of 20 GB each to one 40GB D: drive for example).

Microsoft Definition:
A spanned volume is created from free disk space that is linked together from multiple disks. You can extend a spanned volume onto a maximum of 32 disks. A spanned volume cannot be mirrored and is not fault-tolerant.

The only problem you will you may run into is that I dont think that you can span your system or boot partition. Which is normally your C: partition. By the way it sounds in this case you want to make your C: span two disks to be 40GB. Please let me know if this helps!

Acquisitive_One
MCSA, A+

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Is RAID 0 what you want to stripe 2 drives together? There are several types of raid. Some newer mainboards come with two or three levels of RAID built into the board. In other cases you can buy products that will do it for you.

If you had at least 3 drives you could use RAID 5 which uses distributed parity information for better fault tolerance. Fox example, if ne drive fails, you swap it out and the data is rebuilt from information on the other two. The drawback is that some of the total available space is used to store the parity/repair information. Servers often use RAID 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back