Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should we use EXMERGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeym

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2004
US
Our company would like to archive all messages in every mailbox older than 1 year. Is using EXMERGE through the Windows AT Scheduler the best approach?

Thanks

Cancel that, I just noticed the "archive" word.

You will need to use GFI or similar non exchange tools

was just going to say, EXMERGE is used for backing up mailboxes to a pst file, wouldn't really archive them as would do the whole mailbox.

must say, that mailarchiver by GFi does look good. Although not sure of the price. Are you look for a free solution or have you been given a budget for it?

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

u could use second mailbox store to 'archive' but this really depends on your org size as you are still not really 'archiving away' anything ...2nd mxb store still lives with in your 1st storage group.

GFI works great!...just keep in mind that it stores mail into MS SQL...can become resource HUNGRY app on you gateway box and depending on your size/mail you may need to get a full blown SQL server....

All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

if you are having to get a new SQL server, you may as well just get a 2nd exchange server

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

as UKalliance confirmed my point...be ware of the SQL whole that GFI can create if mass mail is archived.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back