Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should the Employees and Residents share a TCP/IP Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdurdan66

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2005
US
We are running a retirement community and have a network of about 30 workstations and 1 server. We have residents who want internet access in thier apartments or rooms.
If I give all employee computers a static ip in the range of 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.255 include the server, and all other business resources, then I give the residents dynamic ips from a netgear firewall DHCP server with a dsl modem in the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

The business user have their on firewall and dsl modem.

If I share the infrasture ( switches and wiring) can this cause any security issues? Example I will plug both residents and employees in the same switch. We have a domain network which I think will provide protection to our server.

Put in a second router. Plug it into the first one and put all of the residents on it. They will be seperated from your business network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back