Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should Phaser 840 be kept on all night every night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativepart

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
I previously owned a Phaser 300 and then a Phaser 380 and we always kept them turned on all the time. Now, I own my own Phaser 840 for working at home and so I've been keeping it turned on all the time. It makes's quite a bit of noise and heat, but that's ok.

We were told on the two phasers at work that if you turned them off at night they'd break sooner, and use a ton more ink.

What's the straight story on this?

Thanks
Paul Green

When you turn on the printer from cold, it performs a cleaning routine to calibrate the printhead.. This uses a lot of ink! I don't imagine that turning it off will cause it to break more, but i'd recommend leaving it on just to save of the hideous cost of ink.

definitely leave it on, unless you dont plan to print for a week or so. They dont tell you how much ink these things use if they go into power save mode, or are shut off.
Its way more expensive to replace the ink vs paying the electric bill.

You will use a 1/4 of a block of ink every power on on the 300 series machines & between 1/4 & 1/8 with the 800 series. You will also place extra wear on the Power Supply components & heaters as all the Solid Ink ranges were designed to be left on. Your choice but you will also get the added benifit of being able to turn the radiator off even in winter if the machine operates a smallish room ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back