Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should i use VPN for this? Dicuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronanshee

Technical User
Oct 9, 2003
AU
An organisation:

- has offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, and Canberra
- each site has 30 PCs running Win 95/98 with 5 shared printers attached to individual PCs
- current networking technology is using Ethernet at 10 Mbps running over UTP cable connecting to hubs

The request is to provide a proposal to link up the various sites, where the network should support high-speed networking continuous availability across multiple sites. Customer access to the information resources of the company as well as implementation of an Intranet is of interest.

Shoud i use VPN to connect the various sites? What about using a leased line from local service provider? Who can i go to for the VPN serice?

Your precious time and effort would be very much appreciated!

Thank you and have a nice day~! = )

Ronan

For your reference,

We have around 100 remote sites, we are using VPN & ATM for enabling remote sites connectivity to our HQ.

Here, my locale, HK, broadband line is much cheaper than lease line.

The sites having over 20 PCs are connected by ATM.
Others, only 2-10 PCs, are connected by VPN.

Quite worthy to deploy VPN actually, except security is another topic we need to study and concern.

In this case, how do you connect the various branch/sites? can u please be more detail? Thank you very much! "To Che" = )

I was thinking of setting up the various sites as a LAN using Cat 5e cable.

The problem that i'm facing is how do i connect the various sites together into a WAN? Do i subscribe a broadband for each site, then have them linked to a same IP gateway?

And how do i deploy the VPN? Do i subscribe the VPN from a local ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back