Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I use PIX PAT or NAT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexxed

MIS
Nov 29, 2002
CA
I'm learning the PIX and I wanted some advice. I have a DMZ and an internal network separted by a pix. I want to pass only the following traffic from the internal network to the DMZ servers: terminal services (3389) sqlnet (1521), mapped drives (137,138,139)
Can I accomplish this using PAT and only use the outside interface on the pix or do I need to use NAT and esablish a pool of addresses on the exrternal interface?
I can't find any documentation at cisco about what protocals you can't use with PAT. If anyone knows of a doc, please post.

thanks

Thanks, yea, I read that article. I was in a rush to implement this PIX and since I got noreplies to the question I waited a day and did some testing first. Netbios filesharing works through the PIX with PAT if only one host is doing it at a time. Two hosts and it all buggers up so NAT was the only way to go. the other stuff works as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back