Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I use frames or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhowes

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2001
ZA
Hi All

First of all let me say I posted this before, and got two responses. The first just said "why fix it if it isn't broken?", and the second suggested a re-write without answereing the "frames or not" question. So I apologise for re-posting but I am no closer to an answer ;-)

I have developed a web based application using HTML, Javascript, PHP and MySQL. We initially developed it with two frames, a top frame with a menu and "toolbar", and a bottom frame with the actual "application" screens.

We are now looking at removing the frames and going with a non-frames approach. This has simplified some things (like the DHTML menu which had to work across frames before), and complicated others (like we can't store Javascript "state" variables in the frameset page). Another complication with the non-frames approach is that the whole "top frame" now needs to be loaded with each page.

So (and I have asked this many times) what would the experts on this list do? Bear in mind the following:

- It is an application not a web site
- It is a closed community of users (so, for instance, we only have to support IE not multiple browsers)
- Speed is important (being an app people use daily and becuse we are in South Africa with low/expensive bandwidth)

We have invested a fortune in time and money and will be investing much more. This is a crucial decision and this is a very important decision for the future.

You thoughts all?

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Richard

Hi,

I'm definitly no expert but perhaps i can get the ball rolling,

Whats your biggest concern with not using frames? I presume it is not loading speed because firstly a simple nav bar (and u should keep it simple) will not take long to load, compare this also to loading a frames page which you had to do before! Thats not something I would worry about, even with your low,expensive bandwidth.

What about a small pop-up window containing your top frame info?? Only needs to load once!

I presume you have done this, but weighing up the pros and cons, comparing advantages to disadvantages should give you a clear idea of the solution.
You mention three things, simpler DHTML menu (great), the top frame now needs to be loaded with each page (I dont see such a problem here, design it as simple as possible) and you "can't store Javascript "state" variables in the frameset page" How critical is this last issue? Do you have work arounds? What solutions have you come up with?
What other problems will running without frames cause?
Which is the easier to set-up and to maintain??
Have you checked loading times of both versions?
Can any cut out any unnecessary text/graphics which impact loading time etc etc??

Compile a list of relevant questions, answer them! It must at least give you a clear picture of the situation.

just a few ideas, but as I said, i'm no expert. Far from it.

É

endamcg-logo1b.gif

Hi!

If you are using frames, it means u r letting the controll frame which contains all the links, loading once. By clicking on every link u r saving the time to load the whole links again and again.
But there are some browsers that don't support frames, in my openion keep ur website on frames and also give a link to the No-Frames version of your site. I have seen this approac on many websites like google.

Good Luck! Momin ho to bay taigh bhee lerta hay sipahee

Hi,

What I would suggest is, since you are using PHP, create one page were the navigation and the toolbar are static and create the rest of the pages dynamicaly using variables you get from the navigation or toolbar.

This means that the entire app will be in php, and that you will probably have to rewrite everything, but than you willl also loose the frames.

Hope this helps,

Tijs Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Hi Tijs

Good idea. We are busy developing exactly that now having decided to go with a conversion to no frames (a bit nervously as I would hate to find we have to go back to frames for some unforseem reason).

Thanks again.
Cheers

Richard

H-mm can you formulate why you are converting to noframes as soon as you forced to work ever dhtml menus? Michael Dubner
Brainbench MVP/HTML+JavaScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back