Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should I use directX for 2d scroller game? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelwenzel

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
Hello

I want to create a program that is a simple 2d scroller game. I want it to use very little computer resources. Is directX suitable for this? Will it use very little resources?

Will it use very little resources?"
comparing to what ?

directx is the de facto standart for writing graphics-intense apps utilizing the video card capabilities, so - yes, perhaps you should be using it. there are also many graphic libraries available for 2d games graphics, most of them - i believe - based on directx themselves - just search the internet...

------------------------

Or you could use the Windows GDI (the standard windows gui). It's not so powerful, but I think it uses less resources than DirectX.

PS: I may be wrong, so please correct me if so.

Thanks for your help. I've been researching a bit and think I will try out directX. I started using directdraw but msdn says that it is old and they are not using it anymore so I guess I will try direct3d.

I thought windows GDI would use more resources? I just want to free up cpu time and ram on my computer. I figured if I went with directx, I would just use the video ram and video card cpu. Wouldn't that mean more resources are available when using directx?

DirectX is performing best when using it in fullscreen applications.
If you will be doing graphics in a window - you should probably better use GDI+.

And indeed - DirectDraw interfaces are now subset of Direct3D

------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back