Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I use DID for paging access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zu56

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US

Hello,
I am getting a new in-house paging system which will allow to page wide area pagers as well. A few years ago, before me, there was non DID extension used to access a similar but much older system
Does anybody know of any reason NOT to use DID to access in-house transmitter for pager system?
Thank you

If I knew the DID I could page there too.......as long as you restrict incoming calls to the DID I guess there would not be a problem

Steve
We're doing this stuff for the wealth and fame right?

Publish your paging DID and I will have all my fax machines call it. Within minutes you will wish you didn't make it a straight DID.

Actually if you are going to make it a DID, make the DID go to a vector that requires the caller to enter some code before routing the caller to the paging system. That will reduce the number of wrong number calls.

A prior telcom guy made our plant paging system accessible via a FAC of 60 and we live in the 608 area code. How many people do you think forget to dial the 9 or forget to include it in the fax machine dial string? yeah, that's right a lot.

Thanks everybody,
I guess I will stay with non DID extension for now and see if there is enough demend for accessing paging system from the outside.
jfh9219, I like your idea about using the vector, though. ..and why would you want to have all of your fax machines calling the number? LOL

Maybe look into setting up remote dial access. You could use a DID & a barrier code, a COR, an expiration date.

We would not set it up here but it would be tempting to set it up & not tell anyone. Then, when the time was right; call in and say your piece. I would never do it but just think of the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back