Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I upgrade to XP? lil help? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJVisuaL

Programmer
May 31, 2000
US
This is a case of jealousy!
my best friend upgraded to xp pro
he has
tyan motherboard
1ghz processor
128 sdram
ati radeon
sb live 5.1
and it works fine on his system
I want to upgrade as well.. after playing with xp on his
machine it looks/feels alot better and worthy of the
upgrade but my system is older and i dont know if would
even work? what do you think?
i have
soyo 5ehm motherboard
amd 350mhz 3dnow processor
128mb sdram
voodoo 3 3500 tv vid card
sb live 5.1 mp3+ sound card

i have a slight problem with 98se in that my vid card and
sb live use the same irq (11) and when i do things with the mouse (like move a window really fast) i can hear some fuzzyness in my sound
will xp have problems with this? i hear it is more strict and my friend says that xp may not like it
anyways should i try xp? or stick with 98se?
any ideas/help is appreciated
thanks!

personaly I wouldn't even try upgrading(or clean install) with 128 sdram. although it is supposed to run on that I have seen it slow down after about two weeks. most people eventualy get 256mb

XP will likely run just fine on your machine, with a major caveat being the amount of memory you have is the recommended minimum. Spend the $47 and get yourself another 256 megs if you can - the performance boost is worth it.

Your processor won't run like your friend's - but certainly it'll run better under XP than what you're getting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back