Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I update the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derdeb

Technical User
Jul 20, 2005
CA
Well...I had to return my MSI-K9N due to a problem with the PS/2 port. A quick search on the MSI boards revealed that I wasn't the only one with the problem. It looks as if it's a serious hardware issue.

Anyways...

I bought a new ASUS A8N-E and it's working great. Since I had to take the processor off the old MSI board, I needed to reapply thermal paste. Everything worked out good and my CPU is running at about 42 degress. I think it will probably drop after a while though.

Since I don't plan on overclocking, do I need to worry about reapplying the thermal paste.

Also...

I was wondering if I should update my BIOS from the ASUS website and or update the motherboard nforce drivers. It seems to be working okay now, so should I even bother.

Thanks

there's a old saying, it goes something like this:

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thermal paste should be completely removed and reapplied every time you remove the heatsink.

I would normaly agree with Crowley16 on his philosophy; however, it is always a good thing to keep your drivers and bios up to date, especialy if your intending to get every bit out of your system and sit on the edge. It can be a double edged sward though. The choice is yours. My advice is to look at the updates, see what advantages you would get from the update, if you dont think you would get any benefit from them, dont update them.
Cheers

Even the manufacturers of motherboards say not to update a BIOS, unless it cures a problem or gives you added capabilities. A higher speed CPU sometimes requires an update. When you go to the update site, it will tell you what the update accomplishes. If it doesn't apply to you, don't bother (too many ways to screw-up!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back