Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I transfer the FSMO roles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyT

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
GB
I have recently upgarded a W2K server to 2003. The upgrade went well, and AD seems to be working as it should. I currently have the following setup:

1 x 2000 DC
1 x 2003 DC

The 2003 server is new, and will become the main server in the domain, as in time, I will upgarde the other one. My question is should I transfer the FSMO roles now, or wait until the upgrade occurs?

There is no immediate plan to do the 2000 upgrade, so can the servers continue as they are for the time being with all the FSMO roles being located on the 2000 DC?

Thanks in advance...

if both will be 2003 in time, i'd as well transfer at least the forest fsmos to the 2003, as your forest is now a 2003 forest anyway.

as for the domain roles, it's generally better to split them among servers anyway, but when you upgrade your 2k server, as long as it doesn't go belly up during the process, there's no worry!

make both GCs, seeing as you only have 1 domain and 2 DCs.

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Sorry, How do I make them both GC's? I am not sure of the process. Still quite new to all this...

sites and services console.

find your server objects and right click em, its there somewhere ;-)

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back