Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should i put a failed/failing hd in external enclosure as slave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcruise3230

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
Dear members:

I just would like to know should i put a failed/failing hard drive (2.5 30gb ibm internal hd) in external enclosure as slave so i can get the data off (its been a month since it has failed) by using a laptop

Depends how it's failed. If the power circuit has failed, you might damage the circuitry of the USB external enclosure. If, however, the drive was still revolving ok when you think it "failed", then it's worth a shot at this method to try and get data off.

Make sure you buy an enclosure which will accept the smaller 2.5" drive IDE connector, or get an adaptor.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

its the other one (failed after using for 4 years). also, do i need a software to get the data off or i just plug it in using an external 2.5 enclouse via usb and get the data off

What operating system is the laptop using? W2K or XP should recognise USB ports ok, so they should be able to "see" the hard drive in an external case. However, you might need to go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management to give this disk a drive letter so it can be accessed. If, on the other hand, the data is corrupted or not accessible, you might need to use something like GetDataBack or EasyRecovery in order to extract the files you need.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

well the disk is not spining because it has failed (called my provider to confirmed it) so can i still get the data off even if it has failed by putting in external hd as slave?

If the disk doesn't spin then it doesn't matter how you attached it, you still won't be able to access it! Getting data off is likely to be a very expensive business, but maybe it's important to have it... You could try putting the disk (in a freezer bag) in the fridge. Sometimes cooling the drive down will make it run sufficiently long to get the data off if you're lucky.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

okay i will try that but before i do that i just have one last question: would i get more luck if i put the hd inside the laptop or in the external enclosure (set as slave) to get the data off after putting itin the freezer? or itdoes't matter?

It'll not make the slightest difference. If this is going to work, and there's only a slight chance that it might, then given the options you've quoted, choose the one which is quicker to get going! I'd say the external case may be marginally quicker. Chill the drive in the refrigerator, don't freeze it.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

okay thatsall i wanted to know thanks for all the information everyone hope i can help u in the future!!! :) peace

forgot to ask: before i do how do u think i should get the data off (which is the quickest): burn to cd-r or cd-rw or do it with externa hd?

Depends what equipment you have available to attach the failing drive. If you had a desktop machine, quickest solution would be to attach the failing drive to the secondary IDE interface (with a 2.5"-3.5" IDE convertor) and copy data to a new folder or partition on the primary IDE drive. I think next would be copying to USB, and slowest would be writing to a CD. (I could be wrong on this last one - not got figures available at this moment).

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back