Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I be able to ping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenover

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2001
US
If I simply have a single Cisco 2600 with an Ethernet port and serial port, configured with IPs and subnet masks, WITH link lights on both, shouldn't I be able to ping the IP's of BOTH addresses regardless of what's on the other end?

If your up and up you should be able to ping.
Do a show ip int brief and look at the serial
and ethernet ip's in question. If up and up
ping away. This field will also advise if your
serial/ethernets are ADMID DOWN , NO A NO SHUT
ON THE INTERFACE IF THIS SHOWS UP. Theres more
here than what meets the eye however try this
and advise. J.Fisher CCNA
Jeter@LasVegas.com

Thanks for the reply. Both interfaces are up and up, but I can only ping the ethernet interface. I'm using 192.168.5.1/255.255.255.252 as the serial interface. There's nothing wrong with that is there??

I do not think anything is wrong with it. I have found that if you address the serial interface itself you are Unable to ping it. I have a large frame relay network and if I address the interface itself on our branch end. I am unable to ping the serial interface but if I have subinterfaces for the serial interface I am able to ping them.

Sorry J.Fisher but you stated this to my questions some time ago and although I do not know the exact reason for this it is true that you will not be able to ping the serial interface in some cases. In an example I have setup a frame-relay network and while fully funtional I have never been able to ping the local serial interface unless I use the frame map command to map the serial IP to the DLCI.

RK- per chance was your frame a point to multipoint? That can break PING along with OSPF and other broadcast based protocols unless the mapping is done correctly. With a point to point frame cricuit, you should be able to ping either of the external interfaces ( assuming serial links) This also holds true with SMDS which is another cloud based WAN connection.

ALso, JFisher may be referring strict to Ciscos where other routers may work differently with the mapping.

As with many things.. your milage may vary ;-)

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back