Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I abandon MS Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
I administer a database used for entering, tracking, and billing freight shipments.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is comprised of two files, one is the data and the other is the forms and reports, etc...<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;The data file is now about seventy megs, and crashes way too often.&nbsp;&nbsp;I need to publish the data on the web, and I have users who are ok in access, but afraid of computers- <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a way to protect my db?&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a better platform?&nbsp;&nbsp;how many users can I expect to get on a shared folder access file before it craps out?<br>Help?!<br>

THe current size of your mdb shouldn't cause you a problem,but you may ned to frequently compact it.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it continues to be unstable you may have a table structure problem such as referential integrity not properly defined.&nbsp;&nbsp;I currently have some databases on a wan that have between 75 and 80 concurrent users.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure that you define your data locks properly and you should be able to do the same.

Most of the time the error problems are due to poor data file relationships.&nbsp;&nbsp;How may tables are in the data file database?&nbsp;&nbsp;Why are you not purging old data?&nbsp;&nbsp;Do you compact the data on a regular basis.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do your users access the data through tables or queries?

If you want to publish your info on the web<br>and want your database multi-user friendly you<br>should upgrade to SQL server. Your users can still<br>use access as the front end but the tables will<br>be ODBC links to SQL tables. Your Queries will <br>run amazingly fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back